Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Weekend at Topside

So after sending Accountant's Project last weekend I was feeling pretty psyched to get onto the next thing. Next on the list was Mintberry Crunch (8A) up at Echo Valley. There are so many lines to be done there, its crazy. Just project after project. Anyway, Mintberry Crunch went rather quickly once Marijus got me to use his beta, although the topout almost had me. Check out Marijus's video below:


So after having too many drinks at the Power and the Glory the night before, I wasn't feeling too amped for another session on Sunday, but at about 3PM I felt the urge.

We headed out for a night session at the Cinema in Topside. There were a few lines I wanted to get on here, but first in line was Cloverfield (8A). This line has some awesome moves, and although it doesn't take the line it originally intended to, its still great. The original line does a bigger move further out left, and was opened by Paul Robinson as Zodiac (8A+). I'd love to do that line too, but it really pushes the reach. Cloverfield went quickly, which was a nice surprise. I've had about three or four sessions on the line over the past few months. While I was there I did the right hand variation War of the Worlds (7C), which is also a cool line.


Marijus on the FA of Cloverfield (8A). Photo by Paul Robinson.

Next up was Paranormal Activity Stand Start (7C+). This is a cool line, short and quite crimpy. It felt fairly hard the last time I was on it, but not this time. I quickly got the wierd toe squeeze move, and started working out the top. The problem has a bit of an arb finish, but basically you just wedge yourself into this big gap and catch your breath for a few minutes.

Paul on the stand start part (7C+) of Paranormal Activity (8B+)

Went back to Echo Valley on Tuesday with Marijus and Julia as I was really keen to send Midnight Barber (8A), but alas, the two days on of climbing on the weekend had taken their toll and my arm started giving out. Marijus got the send though. Pity I don't have any pics, its a really cool line. EDIT: Check this sweet clip Marijus put together of him sending Midnight Barber (8A):


Apparently my left shoulder is slightly imbalanced, and so after too much climbing everything tires out and starts transferring the load down to my elbow. Anyway, nothing a physio and a few days rest can't sort out. Unfortunately I was too hung over to attend my Physio appointment. Work dinner got way out of hand the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment